As everyone knows, the PS3 doesn’t support .mkv and dts. But there is no need to convert the whole movie to mp4 or else.
What you need:
- Ubuntu (I don’t know for Windows)
- mkvdts2ac3 from this site: http://github.com/JakeWharton/mkvdts2ac3
- tsmuxer http://www.smlabs.net/tsmuxer_en.html
- If you want to stream from the pc: Mediatomb http://mediatomb.cc/ (also in the repositories)
- Install all the programs as needed
- open a terminal, navigate to the mkvdts2ac3 folder
- Execute: mkvdts2ac3.sh -d SomeMovie.mkv
This takes some time as the script takes the dts track and converts it to ac3, then integrates the ac3 track into the mkv container
- Go to the tsMuxeR folder and double-click on tsMuxerGUI
- Choose the movie, make sure TS muxing is chosen in the Output tab, than press Start muxing
- Your .ts file with the ac3 track is now ready to be copied to the PS3.
- If you want to stream using Mediatomb, you have to change a few settings. There are plenty of sites out there that describe this. You don’t need enconding-on-the-fly as the PS3 can read .ts containers just fine.